Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

A.    Is it safe to travel in Ethiopia?

Generally, Ethiopia is the safest country to travel to with less record of crime. However, in some crowded areas, it is advisable to beware of pickpockets and avoid carrying large sums of money inaccessible pockets. Besides this, there is almost no violent theft & robbery.
B.     When is the best time to visit Ethiopia?

This can depend on where you are going. In most parts of the country, the main rainy season runs from the end of June to mid-September, with short rain in March. However, in the southern part of Ethiopia down to the Omo Valley, the seasons are different with the main rains from the end of March to June and short rains in November. However, due to global weather changes it is difficult to be absolutely definitive about the rains.

Currently due to the upgrading of the roads and daily flights along the Historic route (Axum, Lalibela, Gondar, and Bahir Dar) it is now possible to visit the historic route throughout the year. When you come to Afar (Danakil / Dallol depression), which is considered the hottest place in Ethiopia, daytime temperature frequently rises above 50oC, however, the average temperature is 34oC. So the best time to visit is on the relatively cool season between October to March.
C.     How can I get my visa?

Tourist visa (valid for up to three months) can be issued on arrival at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport to nationals of the following countries and territories, or persons holding residence permits issued by these countries or territories -: - Argentina, Australia,Austria ,Belgium, Canada, China,Denmark , France, Greece,Hong Kong, China,India,Israel ,Italy,Japan , Macau, China,Mexico, Netherlands,New Zealand,Norway, Poland,Portugal, Russia,South Korea, Spain,Sweden, Switzerland,Thailand,United Kingdom and the United States

Applicants who claim to have permanent residence in one of the eligible countries are required to show a valid residence permit document upon arrival.

Tourist visa is an electronic single-entry visa issued by the Ethiopian Government for visitors who wish to travel to the country for tourism or other non-business-related purposes only.

D.    Can I pay in credit card?

Yes, we accept payment in VISA & MasterCard but only on the physical presence of the client in our office; however, there is an additional 2.5% surcharge charge. Mainly we accept payment from our clients by a wire transfer of money to our bank account.
E.      What is the typical challenge while trekking in the Simien and Bale Mountains? 

Since most places in the Simien and Bale Mountains are above 3,000 meters sea-level the major problem is altitude sickness. The symptoms include headache, shortness of breath & exhaustion. So we recommend clients to consult their doctor and bring the necessary medicine for it & it’s always good to take simple first aid kit with you.  The other challenge is since the places are mountains there are lots of ups & downs as a result the client must be fit physically as well as medically.
F.      Is it safe to drink tap water?

No, we don’t advise you to drink tap water, since you are staying in the country for a short time it is better to avoid any risks. And almost everywhere in Ethiopia bottled water is available for sale starting from 0.5 up to 2 liters. We also recommend tourists to drink enough water especially when it is hot, not to face dehydration.

G.    What is the maximum Luggage Allowance for a domestic flight?

For the domestic flights the maximum luggage allowance is 20kg and 7kg for hand – luggage